Sunday, October 27, 2013

North Shore Bubble

Last night, I went to Chicago for a birthday party. Many people came up to me, begging for money and food for their family. It's hard to say no, just looking at their desperate faces and open palms. We don't see anything like this living on the North Shore. It's funny that the living situations for people just half an hour away contrast so greatly from around here.

Seeing that made me think about the North Shore Bubble. So many people around here don't know what it's like to live on the verge of poverty, not sure if you're going to make it through the day with adequate food and drink. Outside of this area, people suffer and beg for anything that will help them stay alive.

This begs the question: Does the North Shore provide people with inaccurate views of reality? If so, people should be ready for the shock of their lives when (or if) they leave the North Shore and realize that not everything is as perfect and simple as it is here. At least for me, most problems around the world are sugar coated, and I didn't fully understand the suffering people endure every day until I actually saw it in front of my own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment